Friday, July 14, 2006

Boycotting the heat

There is two things that my body absolutely rejects: heat and shoe shopping - neither of which I have any control against. The race at Eau Claire a couple weeks ago was HOT!! After a full week of feeling crummy Cathy got sick, probably from being so wore down and slept for like 18 hours, I didn't get sick but it did take me the entire week to start feeling better. I tried to get my rides in late in the day or early in the morning but was still struggling with the heat wearing me down. Finally I decided to boycott the heat altogether and ride at night. Everyday this week my rides have started at 9-9:30pm. By then things are starting to cool off and I have noticed that I am feeling a ton better too. In addition to avoiding the heat the night riding has been helping prepare for 24-9 later this month.
So what's is store for this weekend? This:
Traditionally the race this weekend is always on the hottest weekend of the summer and this year is forecasted to be exactly that. With 105 degree heat index it is going to be a cooker. It should be interesting to see how everything pans out, will people go out hard like normal and blow up, will the pace be a little slower because of the heat (I know mine will be). All in all this is a pretty fun course so it shouldn't be too bad.

No comments: