Monday, May 18, 2009

Iola Bump & Jump Race Report

This was the first weekend in over a year that we loaded the bikes up and headed to a race. Even though it was only 44 degrees when we pulled into the parking lot we were able to stay warm while setting up the WORS tents and then headed out for some pre-riding. That night we headed to Don's place for a tour of the WORS head quarters and a spaghetti feed.

Sunday the sun was out, the wind had died down and it was shaping up to be a really nice day. I was working the CycleOps / Park Tool tent. It is amazing the amount of work people needed done to their bikes only minutes before the race! While wrenching on bikes and getting people set up I was trying to talk Cathy into racing. She had every excuse I have ever heard - I can't do 3 laps, I haven't been riding enough, I just had a kid 8 weeks ago. About 45 minutes before her race she finally agreed to suit up.

Cathy's race went really good, she got through the first two laps and then had enough left to really push the last lap hard. At the finish she was 4th in her age and 12th overall - incredible considering her 3 excuses were all pretty legitimate!

Just after she finished it was time for me to line up. We took off like a shot and the pace didn't slow through the entire race. I felt good and although I finished mid pack I felt good and was able to keep the race in check through the final lap.

It was good to see everyone again. Hopefully it will warm up for the next couple races so we can bring the kids. They were at grandma and grandpa's this weekend and had a lot of fun.

2 comments:

Regina said...

great job to you both at the race! I hope to be at wausau so maybe I'll see you both there...racing??

HomeGrownMama said...

Hey Swansons! I've been enjoying your pictures and goings on since Georgia was born. Congrats on the race Cathy! Very impressive, on many levels. Hope to see you soon.

emmy.