Monday, March 08, 2010

Secret Training Revealed

So this weekend I switched to my second of 3 stages of unofficial off season training. Friday night I ended my Threshold training block with a quick tear around the Cap. City trail. I made it about 8 miles into the 22 mile loop with lights before the battery died. The remaining 14 miles was under the moon and stars...neither of which were out. It was really dark and pretty slippery so pushing the watts resulted in a few close calls with the ground. Sunday was the start to my hill phase workouts. A small but dedicated group met here at 6am to hammer out 55 miles and almost 4000ft of climbing...all before 9am.
With out planning every day's ride, weighting my food, counting calories this year I am trying to split my race prep into (3) 3-5 week segments.
1) Threshold - Because I don't have time for true base miles I have been working on shorter and more intense rides, 1-2 hours with 5-10 minute intervals, with min recover.
2) Hills - Now that I will be able to get outside more and actually on the road I am going to be hitting as many hills as possible. If I can learn to love hills this year will go a lot smoother.
3) Fine tuning - by then the weather should be clear enough to get on the trails. This will be more fun rides, learning how to ride in the woods again after too many hours on a trainer and too many miles on the road this will be a really nice refresher that I am sure I will be ready for.
So there you have it, if this season turns out to be a good one then I guess this was a receipt for success, if not then I guess just chalk it up to a learning experiance.

No comments: