Thursday, August 17, 2006

Maxxis Tire Review


I called up Maxxis for some extra stickers and they sent me a truck load!! Anyone that wants some let me know!


This is my second year rolling on Maxxis tires. This year they did away with the Larson MiMo. The new tire that was replacing the void is the CrossMark. This tire has a little of everything. An almost solid ramped center tread that rolls like a road tire on hard pack. When the trail gets rough or loose then the square spaced tread like on the Larson TT takes over. If you get your self in a bind and need to get around a tree in a hurry then the late MiMo round tread pulls you to safety. Because of it's high air volume I am able to run it tubesless (with Stan's) at about 28 psi. I don't have a computer on the bike so I don't know the exact mileage but the tires haver really lasted well. I was going to rotate the tires front and rear but the front got a hole worn in it from my trunk rack...kinda weird. I threw a new tire on the rear and put the rear on the front. This year has been pretty dry so these have been a perfect choice. I have rode them in wet conditions a couple times and even though they can hold there own they are by no means a Medusa!!

Next weekend is the WORS Devils Head Stage Race. The weekend starts off with the Super D which is a XC version of downhill. The trails around Devils Head are all generally hardpack littered with rocks. I plan on running a wide 2.35" Larson TT tire. The TT is a very fast rolling tire and the extra volume will offer insurance at speed over all the rocks. I have never done a Super D before so I hope this is the right choice...I guess there is only one way to find out!

No comments: