Monday, July 23, 2007

I hate Blue Mounds!!

Saturday I was planning on getting a nice long hard day in. Originally I planned on going out to the Kettles around noon but our trip to the farmer's market took longer than planned. As we pulled off the bike trail to down town we were stopped by droves of people and these crazy guys running with a canoe down the street!! I had no idea what was going on and was wondering if some got busted for fishing without a permit and was on the run do I tackle them and be a hero or stand and cheer like everyone else? We chose the latter...fortunately...because after asking around turns out they were the leaders of the Paddle and Portage race - not some canoe wielding fugitives!
We made our way up the square to watch the other 300 contestants making there way from Mendota lake to Monona lake via the Isthmus and downtown. From there we walked around in the crowds for a while before heading home.
It was getting late to drive out to Kettle and ride so I just headed out on the Military Ridge trail to Blue Mounds for a lap and then back. I have only rode out there twice in the past 3 years. 3 years ago I did a 12 hour race and got 6 flat tires before taking the win. I vowed never to ride there again. Last year Cathy and I rode there and miraculously didn't have any problems. As I got into the park on Saturday I was having seconds thoughts but told my self to just go slow and get through one lap. The rocks were sharper than I remember and I missed most of them but some were just unavoidable. I finished up and had a bad feeling about one of the hits. I knew my air was limited and not having a tube I gassed it home. Mt.Horrib was as far as I made it before I was on the rim and on the phone calling Cathy for a ride home. Once I got home I was surprised to have made it as far as I did, the rock had cut the side of the tire from the rim to the tread. Stan's did everything he could but it just wasn't enough.
I have renewed my vow NEVER TO RIDE AT BLUE MOUNDS AGAIN!!!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Try the Overlode trail...not as many rocks and more XC racer friendly. Give yourself a swift kick in the junk for riding Blue Mound without a tube/patches/booting material!