Monday, July 16, 2007

Reforestration Ramble

I have heard that every racer has good and bad years. I have experienced a few good years and some learning years but have never really had a bad year...until now. Having not finished the past two races my goal had changed from finishing in the top 10 or top 20 but just to get through the race. With the marathon being 46 miles I knew that was going to be a tough enough goal. We started out at a really comfortable pace with the entire pack together. The leaders drilled it a couple times but that only strung things out but we all stayed together. The first single track was about 5 miles in and that was what ended up breaking it up. Jumping back onto the ski trail the leaders had a gap and I was with 2 other guys in a chase group with a larger pack behind us. I was pushing hard to get back on with the lead group but didn't want to over do it and blow up. Coming through the lap area I was looking for Cloe for my water bottle but there was a ton of people around and missed her. I panicked for a second thinking how am I going to get through another lap without any water!? The lead group was just up the road and I knew if I could get up to them life would be alot easier. I kept the pace at Steady State, something I knew wouldn't blow me up and finally we closed the gap. I was able to bum some water off Nate Guerra which was a life saver. I was dangling off the back trying to conserve as much energy and water as possible. Finally the lead group got away and I settled in with the second group. Cory was riding really good so I let him by and he was gone. Finishing that lap was really tough, I was totally dried out. I found my water bottles through the lap and grabbed two hoping to pull things together. I soft pedaled for a while and polished off one of my bottles almost instantly. Things weren't coming around like I was hoping so I took the 3rd lap really slow and hoped I could gain some ground on the last lap. Coming through the lap I stopped for a second and grabbed 2 bottles, a banana, a granola bar, and some fig newtons. I was starting to get frustrated because things were just not coming together. I tried to jump on with Comp riders as they were coming around me but there was no response in my legs. Finally about half way through the last lap some riders came up to me and said they were in my class I got really mad and just punched it this time the legs gave me a little feed back and I was able to get away from them through the finish.
Cathy didn't come up because of the no dog ruling. Sunday she headed down to Janesville and did a ride with Christina. Things were going really good until her valve stem broke off, resulting in a flat tire. Christina rode back to her place got an extra tube and then drove back to the park. Between the two of them they got the tire fixed and finished up riding the trails. Cathy has been back on the mt.bike a couple times and really has a lot more energy. We have some really easy trails around so that is good for her to get out without having to worry about crashing.
No races for a couple weeks so it will be nice to get refocused...again...and get the rest of the season planned out.

No comments: