Monday, April 17, 2006

Scenic but Abusive!

That is a pretty good summary of the Oxbow Classic this weekend. Saturday was just perfect for a bike race. I lined up with a huge field of around 80 riders. It didn’t take long for the bumping to start, I was just as much to blame as anyone else, but it was SOOO hard to keep a straight line on the loose gravel. Just a couple miles in a couple guys got loose and bumped me onto the shoulder. I kept the bike up but was pretty far back when I got back into the pack. I pushed to get back to the front group before the hill. As soon as we started the climb another guy just fell over and took me out again. I got up and had to run a little to get going. At the top of the hill a lead group had formed and was about 100 yards up the road. I was feeling good and had a tail wind. I knew that if I pushed to get back to the group that would save me once we turned into the wind. Once I got back on things were pretty tame. I was feeling really good and wanted to stir up some action. There was a long 3 tier climb about 10 miles in on the 17.5 mile loop. I upped the pace and put a good gap on the group. I was hopping a rider or two would come with me and we could get a break going. When I crested the hill I looked back and the group was a long ways back just sitting there. I decided to give it a go and try to stay off. I rode out from for about 5 miles or so. I could tell I was burning quite a few matches and knew that I needed some left for the next lap, so I sat up and got back in with the pack.
We hit the climb again going onto the second and final lap. The hill itself hurt but once I was over the top I ramped up the pace again and really felt good. There were a few shot fired on that lap, each time cutting a few riders from the lead group. I was feeling ok, but was running low on water and could tell I was running out of matches. With 2 miles to go a few riders attached HARD out of a corner I just wasn’t ready for it as a swung wide. I stood up to get back on but just couldn’t close the gap. We had a tail wind so I tried to just push a hard pace and close it over time, but this time the group didn’t let up.
Before the race dad was talking trash and said if I could lap him he would buy dinner. I seen him about ¼ way up the final hill, he was walking but I wasn’t riding much faster. I got around him about 100 yards from the finish.
I was really happy with the race. I felt like I rode smart and could really seen the benefit of doing so. Hopefully we can take this and start building for a solid start to the mt.bike season.

No comments: