Monday, April 03, 2006

That was close!!

This weekend was a mix of decent riding, and typical spring weather. Friday it rained so I was on the trainer, vowing it would be my last time...again. Saturday was a little nicer, kinda windy but at least not raining. We were hoping to get some mt.biking in but because of the rain the trails are still closed. I headed over to New Glaris for a good hill workout. I met up with Jim and Bill who already had 25 miles behind them. We hit the hills and I felt surprisingly well, considering how much I was hurting on the trainer the night before. The route was a little longer than I thought but good for a 64 mile ride.
Meanwhile Cathy wanted to go for a ride but didn't want to get all dressed up to face the cold so she hit the trainer for about an hour. Then just as she was finishing up Christina called wanting to ride. Cathy couldn't say no so piled on some clothes and they were off. When I got home I was pretty proud of myself for getting a good 3.5 hour ride in, only to be almost matched with Cathy's 3 hour ride!! She was pretty tired so we just crashed.
Sunday was more rain. We watched some TV and just lounged around for most of the day. I needed to get some hours in so I jumped on the trainer for some more Steady State excitement. The storm was really picking up at this point with T-storm warning flashing up all the time. We seen some lightning but nothing too bad until WHAMMMM! A flash of lightning was about as close as ever, all the windows were just white with light! Then the weird part, my Polar HR monitor went crazy, it switched to a totally different setting and starting beeping. We also have a picture with a metal frame next to the TV apparently the lightning caused a magnetic field around that because that corner of the TV was all messed up. I don't know where it struck but it had to have been close to create those kind of magnetic fields around our electrical. I am just gald I wasn't wearing my HR strap!
It is supposed to warm up this week so that will be nice. All the rides will be starting this week as well, hopefully it will dry out enough to get off road.

No comments: