Friday, May 25, 2007

Pain and Suffering - Part 3

OK maybe not so much pain and suffering any more. I went into the doctor yesterday to get my hand looked and have them put a cast on. The doctor was poking around at it, twisting, and pulling trying to determine the point of pain. I told him that it really didn't hurt and actually felt much better than earlier in the week. He looked at the X-rays and wanted to get some others at different angles. We took a look at the new ones and the area that he though was broke didn't look quite right. He said their is a line in the bone but it looked kinda old. I wasn't going to tell him that I broke it about 5 years ago while racing Sno-X for fear he would put me in a cast for the rest of my life. I was at the first race of the year and overshot a double jump, I landed and jammed my wrist good. It swelled up so fast I couldn't get my glove off. I finished the race, went back to the truck and nursed it a little. I knew it was broken but had already paid for the races that weekend so after downing about 1/2 bottle of aspirin went back racing. I continued to race on it for the next 4 weekends before I couldn't take the pain any more. At that point I went into the doctor, he put a cast on it and said it was going to be on the rest of the winter...I took it off two weeks later and never went back. So that was then and apparently the bone didn't heal quite right leaving a crack looking scare in the bone. The doctor said just take it easy for a couple days and if it gets worse come back in. That was a serious close call, which could have made for a short season!

No comments: