Sunday, May 01, 2005

12 hours of.....FUN!

I am writing this with still shakey hands from yestarday. We showed up at the kettles around 6am only to realize that we didn't bring nearly enough cloths for the day...not a good way to start out! Really I can't complain though, the course was dry, fast, and fun. I was the lead out for our team. There was major comfusion at the start and I got stuck in the middle of the pack, I was pushing hard working my way to the front before the single track. I caught the leader (Polska) and found out he was racing a duo team, he let me by and then I could put the hammer down with clear sailing. The NRS was incredable out there. I had it set up with my Maxxis Mimo tires, which by the way could possibly be the best tires I have ever rode! They just stuck to everything they were so predicable in the corners and fast on the flats.
Anyway, after I finished my lap about 1.5 minutes up, Cory took off with the Polska rider coming strong. Even though we weren't in the same catagory, I was still pushing to be the fastest team there. When Cory came in he had been caught, we started going through the rotation and settling into a grove. Jeff and Dan were both turning really good times as well so it was a fun day. At about 12-1pm the Polska team had about 7 minutes up on us. I was pushing hard all day keeping my lap times around 40 minutes or better. When Dan came in from his 3rd lap he had enough. He was cold and worn out, that was cool, this was his first race and he left everything he had on the trail...WAY TO GO DAN! We decided to go to a 3 man rotation for the last few laps. Cory came in on his last lap with the polska rider in site. Jeff took off with a mission, pass and drop him. When Jeff came in he was leading I took off only to hear everyone yelling that the polska rider just came in. I knew I was faster than Chad but didn't want to take that for granted. I pushed hard, even though I turned my slowest time of the day I was able to open up a good lead at the finish.
It was a lot of fun. The race was exactly what I needed, hard interval work for the start of off road racing over the next couple weeks. Anyway, I am going to grab more food and probably take a nap.

No comments: