Monday, May 23, 2005

Alpine Valley

Alpine Valley is always a fun race. I really enjoy the mix of climbing, single track, and creek crossings. The only problem is that the trails are only open for this one race. That means that it will take about 537 years before the trails are packed down hard. To add to that it seems every year it rains right before this race, so the nice soft power sapping trails turns even softer and harder to navigate. I liked it though. We prerode the course which was identical to last year. I was feeling good and flowing smoothly through the single track. That night the clouds opened up and gave us a nice thunderstorm, or so Cathy said as she couldn't sleep all night.
As the citizen's lined up the course was SOOO muddy I was having a tough time just walking around! It was funny as wave after wave of citizen's took off the line spinning and falling about 10 ft. into the race! Cathy got called up to the line first after a great season opener last weekend. As the women took off she was in second again with Jasha, her teammate right behind. They hit the singletrack and began weaving their way through the trails. Half way through her first lap she had opened a 1 min. gap on second. This pic is her coming up the single track for the second time on her way to a second victory!!

The mud really took it's toll on them as they were packing and drying the trails for the rest of the competitors...actually I think most of the citizen's took a majority of the course home with them.
By the time I lined up the sun was out and it was getting hot. I knew that it was going to be a hot hard race and I needed to ride my own pace otherwise I would blow up HARD! We took off up the first big climb there was a ton of traffic at the top as it narrowed to a short single track. I got through there and got into a groove. I was running in the mid 30's the first lap but picking people off really easily. By the second and third lap the people that went too hard were pulling out or really struggling to keep moving. I found a good gear that was working and had moved up to 20th or better. I by this point my chain was really skipping bad. I thought it was because I forgot to lube my chain but turns out I bent one of my links beyond recongnition. Whitelightning makes awesome lube, after washing the bike there was still enough lube left to get me through a muddy race!! I picked up the pace a little on the 4th lap as it was getting harder to catch and get around people. By this point I had moved to 15th. The last lap really hurt I made the climb and right as I crested the hill could feel I was about done. I was able to recover for the last section of single track and had enough to kick it in for the finish. Ended up 14th and in the money!!

It was a good race and I learned a lot about pacing and playing an offensive game. We have a week off before heading up to Wisconsin Rapids. Here are some random pics from the weekend, I think the dog would attest for the warm weather!

I will try to keep this more up todate than I have. So stop by once in a while for updates.

No comments: