Friday, June 30, 2006

2007 Fox Fork

The past few years I have had problems with my Fox forks. This winter I had enough and was lurred in by the light weight of the SID Team. It didn't take too many rides before I realized that was a mistake, it was very flexy for my 175lbs. and felt like I was riding a flat front tire all the time.
Now that I am back on a Fox I feel more like home. There is a lot of new features for 2007 starting with the look. When I pulled the fork out of the box it looked like a downhill fork compared to my SID. The 32mm santions haven't changed but the lower legs have a new look and are even stiffer than before...I know I didn't think it was possible either. I have only rode the fork for a week now but have had some solid rides in there and am happy to report all the problems with leaky seals appear to be gone. There are some internal changes as well but I haven't tore into the fork to notice any of that yet. One really nice feature is an adjustable lockout threshold. This isn't intended to replace or act like the FX series, but if you have the fork locked out and hit a big hole the fork will break loose and absorb the bump before locking out again.

So how does it ride? Well I opted for the 100mm instead of the 80mm. They are with in a few ounces of each other and the 100mm can be de-stroked to 80mm if need be. My first ride with the longer travel the bike did feel a little slower in the corners. I measured the new head angle the next day and found that it had only changed by like .5 degrees, so I think the feeling was in my head. I really like the extra travel, it is a softer ride and totally soaks up everything on the trail. I raced on it last weekend and the fork handled increadably. The stiffer fork handled sooo much better in the tight single track of Altera and the longer travel really was nice on the down hills.
As much as I would like to say this fork will make you faster, it won't. But it will keep you fresh and in control, which in the end will allow you to go faster, read into that as you like.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

The fork also looks a lot sweeter, looks are all that really matter. hehehe.