Tuesday, June 13, 2006

Am I getting Soft?

So this weekend we were scheduled to race the 12 hours at Muir. The park rangers have no problem closing the trails if there is so much as a forecast of rain. Well about 2am the rain started. It was still, raining when we got up to get everything loaded, I called Chris who was at the parking lot already and he said the race was on rain or shine! We called around and everyone kinda decided they didn't want to slop it out all day. So we threw in the towel before we even got started. Cathy and I were only about 5 minutes out of town so we turned around and went home. I really wanted to race so we decided to hit the Wisconsin State Road Championships later that afternoon. We went home and crashed for about 1.5 hours then got up and loaded the road bike.
The coarse was tough but still fast, which made for an all around hard race. The start/finish line was about 100 yrds. from the top of a substantial hill. From the start line was a few rollers, then we turned into a few more rollers. Then just around the 3rd corner there were another set of rollers all leading to a FAST down hill, I was gliding at about 45mph!
Cory, Jason, Bill, and I all talked strategy, as much as a bunch of mt.bikers know, and the general consensus was to just hammer and see what happens...sounds like mt.bikers!! I wanted to keep things together so that I could attack on the 4th climb. I took a few pulls longer than I wanted too and chased a few breaks down more than I wanted also. I still attacked on the 4th climb and got a good gap with one other guy. We stayed off for about 1/2 a lap before he sat up and we got pulled in. I knew at this point it was going to be a pack sprint, which I am not good at, so I decided to get a good hard workout leading to that. I got out front a few more times and took a few hard pulls. I came into the final corner in a good spot. The last hill felt really hurt but I maintained a decent spot over the top and rolled in 15th of 70 guys.
The race didn't seem that hard or that long but on the way home we were all just toasted! I think the medium short laps took my mind off the pace and the effort...good for a training ride, but not good strategy. Oh well it turned out to be a beautiful day so I am glad we did the race.

No comments: