Tuesday, October 17, 2006

2006 Wrap Up

I once heard a quote that I have kept close to my training: “Don’t buy upgrades, ride up grades”. That being said all the training in the world won’t do anything for you if you can’t get to the finish line. Thanks to my wonderful sponsors I had a mechanical free season. Here’s who helped make it happen this summer:

Bob does a wonderful job running our team. He gets us the hook up on bikes, and if we need any repairs puts aside the paying customers to get us in and out as fast as possible. Mike really bends over backwards helping out the team in anyway possible. Next time you are in Janesville stop in and thank these guys for putting together the best local team in the state!



This was my first product sponsor. 3 years ago I was trying out the NORBA circuit and after my final of 3 stages in Texas I was in the parking lot loading my bike and Josh came up and started talking to me. I was pretty wiped out and when he asked what kind of chain lube I used I just went crazy telling him that whitelightning lube was the best thing ever!! Well turns out he worked for them and asked if he could help me out. This past year our entire team got on board with whitelightning and has had a wonderful year as a team.


I have been using eggbeater pedals ever since I hung up the tennis shoes and started wearing cycling shoes. This was our second year with them helping us out with some light ti pedals. Over the years I have had problems with the pedals digging into my shoes, this has been fixed with a tough plastic spacer. I have actually been using the same spacer over the course of two sets of cleats!



This is another parking lot sponsor. I had just finished a few loops out at the kettles and seen Mark’s truck in the parking lot. I went over and introduced myself. We got to talking and they were really interested in my brakes and rotors. I told them that I was running Kool Stop pads that worked ok but were a little low on power with the aluminum rotors. It didn’t take long for Mark to respond and sell me on the advantages of Vesrah pads. About a week later I put some in and was instantly impressed, all the power was back with control what would rival an Egyptian Pharaoh! Look for some sweet lightweight rotor options coming soon…hopefully I will have the opportunity to do a review on them.


This is also my second year with Maxxis and this year they extended the sponsorship to the entire team. With the introduction of some more XC specific tires they are becoming a more common name at WORS. The new tire this year is the CrossMark. I did a review on it earlier this summer and can only expand on that saying this is by far my favorite tire I have rode, and believe me I have tried a lot of them!


I have read a lot of lightweight wheels and the general consensus is that it is not how light the wheel is but how well it is built. Well take that mentality and apply it to one of the lightest wheelsets possible and you have a dangerously fast combo. I was a little leery about how the wheels would handle my aggressive riding style – was I ever wrong. The only time my wheel came out of true was when I hit a fence post cornering to the finish, high sided, and blew my tire clean off the wheel when I landed! Any less wheel would have folded over like a wet paper towel, but the ZRT Olympic rims only needed a little tweak on the spokes and we were back to new.

Again thanks to everyone!! The 2007 schedule is out so now it is time to start training and preparing for an even more successful season!

No comments: