Tuesday, October 10, 2006

Sheboygan WORS Finale

I have said this before but WOW that was a fast summer!! It literally seems like just yesterday that we were all lining up at Iola wondering what each other had been doing over the winter, or wondering if I had done enough!
This season turned out to be my best ever thanks to TJ for coaching and pushing me all summer. Usually coming into this race I am so burned out and ready for winter that I can't wait for the race to be over. This year was different, I took a little break after Chequamegon and that was enough to get re-charged to end the season strong. Cathy has been keeping good form this summer, but was ready for it to be over. We got lined up and with a bang were off sprinting for the hole-shot prime. I wasn't going for the money as much as trying to get a decent spot into the single track. I was sitting right about where I was hoping and feeling good about it. The first time up the equalizer was cake, I kept it in my big ring (42-32) and made some good ground on Tim at the top. I kept a pretty solid pace keeping Jerry Long in site. As we started the 4th lap I started to run out of juice, I hit a few clif bloks but they didn't kick in soon enough - BANG - I was done! I only had 1/2 lap left but it felt like it took all afternoon to get through it, people were flying by me like it was my first day on the bike, even a few comp guys I had lapped caught up and passed me - it was BAD! I was afraid at the pace I was holding that would happen, but the points were already locked up so I really didn't have anything to loose by doing it.
Cathy always struggles on fast starts, and this was no exception. The women took off just behind us and she was going over the top to stick with them. Even though the course is pretty tame there are just enough roots to make a full suspension nice. The ol' hardtail was taking her for a ride! First time up the equalizer she had a good line and no traffic, she climbed all the way to the top but spun on the final root and had to dab. BUMMER! That was her main goal to try and make it, after that she cruised around the course, enjoying the views and fun trails...except for the bumps!
With it all said and done this has been a wonderful season. Thanks to everyone that helped make it possible, and we look forward to doing it all again in a few months!

No comments: