Monday, October 02, 2006

Last minute decision

The forcast was for unseasonably warm weather, and with winter just around the corner you have to take advantage of every day you get. I wasn't planning on racing this weekend but with forcasted sun I knew I would be kicking myself if I didn't. So Saturday night I got the 9.8 running and ready. I took a gamble on light-weight and set up the tires tubeless with Stan's...big mistake!! About 3/4 way through the first lap I was going through a corner when BANG the tire was off the rim. Light-weight tires + high pressure - tubes = walking back to the car. I walked off the course, cheared on all the other guys and then walked back to the car. About half way there I though, what I am doing? I should be racing!! So I ran the rest of the way, threw in a tube and jumped back on the course about 2 minutes behind the last place women. The first lap was perfect to warm the legs up so I just put it to the floor and started making up ground. I got around all the women and could start seeing guys on different parts of the course. As I started caughting guys I was getting a new motivation to push harder. I didn't know how much time was left so I tossed my bottle to Cathy and she somehow got it filled by the time I looped around to the feed area. I took a full bottle and then heard the bell, 1 lap to go. I got around a few more guys but in the end just ran out of time. I know I could have made more ground if I had more time, every lap my legs just felt better and better. I ended up rolling in 23 of 32 guys. I guess I learned my lesson that 120grams I saved by not running a tube cost me about 6-7 minutes.

No comments: