Monday, April 04, 2005

Getting the bugs out

Yestarday was finally my first race of the year. I was really excited to get out see what my training did for me all winter. We headed up to Madison for the Great Dane Crit #1. It is a great course, pretty flat with two gradual hills. I had put my new Maxxis tires on, my other ones were shot from spinning on the trainer all winter. I couldn't believe how nice it was out, I don't know if it was really sunny or if the sun was just reflecting off everyones white legs!!
When the race started I was really feeling good. Jason got a flat about 100 ft. off the line so had to use his free lap early. Once he got one we moved to the front to stay clear of any flying bikes if someone wrecked. As the minutes ticked by I was really feeling good, but drinking more water than I had planned. By the time the 2 laps to go bell rang I was dry and could have woven a sweater with all the cotton in my mouth. I attached with on the back side hill and started to dry heave, I sat up and tried to spin it out but had nothing for the final sprint.
It was a mental victory though, I felt like my training was going in the right direction, now I just need to make sure I am better hydrated and keep fuel in my tank.

No comments: