Wednesday, July 20, 2005

Alaska Trip

I am going to try to keep this short but don't know if that is going to really happen. So after getting pretty banged up at the bike race we took off for Alaska. The flight up there was a pretty boring 'till we hit the Canadian Rockies. I about fell out of my seat, I have never seen anything like this, the picture doesn't do it any justice, it was just amazing the size of these mountains!!

When we got into Anchorage we got a rental car and had to blow some time before we could check into the hotel. We got there on the warmest day of the trip it was beautiful, clear, and mid 70's. We went to a park to do some hiking and stretch out the legs a little. We weren't event there for 30 minutes when we seen this guy eating lunch.

I guess moose up there are like deer down here, I supposed we looked kinda funny taking pictures of it!
I just couldn't get over how incredible everything was there, mountains everywhere you looked and we only had to drive for 10 minutes and we would be in the middle of no-where! The next day we met with Dave (Jenny's dad) and he took us up in his plane.

This is just one of the tons of glaciers that we seen.

We were flying around and could see otters, fish, and eagles everywhere. We stopped at one bay and the fish were so thick they were constantly jumping, I don't even know how to explain it, at any one time you could see at least 4-5 fish out of the water!!
That was all alot of fun, but the real reason we went up there was for Chris and Jenny's wedding!

They had done a lot of work and the place looked really nice! They had a perfect day for it too. The wedding was very simple but incredible! They went all out on everything but it didn't look over done.
Getting home was somewhat of an adventure as well. Chris had given all the grooms men 3ft. machetes. I could fit my in the bag so I packed it separate. We checked in and checked my bags. Then when I walked through the metal scanner they must of flagged my ticket, as soon as they scanned it they told me to come with them for a "random" check. They did a pat down check, and detector check, made me fold down my pants and checked under my shirt, EVERYTHING!! When I got through I talked to another guy that had the same knife and they made him do the same thing. I guess that is good though. After that we were waiting for our plane and the alarms went off and we had to evacuate the airport, we stood out on the runway for about 10-15 minutes before they let us back in.
We finally got home and it felt good just to kick back and relax for a second.
Looks like we have a race this weekend, I am not sure if we are going to hit it or not, we haven't got much training in the past couple weeks so we might take just stay around here and get some much needed miles in.

No comments: