Monday, July 25, 2005

SDG review


I think the most important part of getting a bike to fit a rider is the seat. Some people spend a lot of time trying to find a seat that fits and then they stick with that. I have been experimenting with several styles this year and have been having some rather painful rides. As I mentioned I just got my SDG setup. They sent me an I-Fly seat as well as a Bel-Air. As you can see in the pics these seats use the new I-Beam seat post system. This is a much lighter and stronger set up than the conventional seat with metal rails. I have noticed that it hold the seat a lot better, with out it sliding around.
Ok, cut to the chase...I first tried the I-Fly seat at 120 grams and still maintaining full padding is an incredibly comfortable seat.

Like all the I-beam seats it is very easy to adjust. One bolt does everything, tilt and lateral movement. The tilt locking teeth are very fine allowing for small fine tuning adjustments. Moving the seat forward or backward is the only thing that is awkward. The seat has rough edges for the seat post clamp to lock against but when trying to adjust the seat seams to bind on these. I actually like it because I know the seat is being held solid. I suggest marking the tilt because when you move the seat you WILL loose the tilt position.
The second seat I tried was their most popular seat and for a good reason.

The Bel-Air ST could be the most comfortable seat I have ever sat on. I haven't had a chance to put too many miles on it but the time I have spent on it have been in non-padded shorts and the seat felt great!! It is a little bigger than the I-Fly and at 186 grams is a little heavier. I would highly recommend this or any of the Bel-Air seats for any type of endurance ride/race.

No comments: