Thursday, October 13, 2005

Night Rider Repair

Tis' the season for night riding. I look forward to this time of year. The racing is done, I don't have to analyze ever second I am on my bike. I can ride when I want, how I want. The cool air brings out the light jacket, and makes the back of your throat tingle as you gasp for air, giving that impossible hill one last shot!
By now the nights are getting longer so it is time to brake out the lights. Night riding in the fall is great. The shadows, and reflection off all the leaves, it is just fun to be in the woods.
If you are anything like me, as soon as we turned our clocks forward last spring I tossed the light into a corner, only to dig it out for the occasional endurance event, which actually capitalizes the reasons for having spare parts.
This fall Cathy has been having problems with her Nite Rider light. It has been giving her problems when she tries to turn in on, sometimes it works other times, nothing. Then on Tuesday, when darkness set in, she tried and it had finally had enough. When we got home, fortunately Jim, who we bought the light from, had a spare bulb. I have installed lights in a car, and you have to be really careful not to touch the glass. But the guys at Nite Rider did there homework. This was the easiest switch ever:

1st - Take the wrench that come with the new light and remove the 4 screws.
2nd - Remove the bulb, there should be an o-ring around the lens, throw that also.
3rd - Plug in new bulb, you can touch this baby anywhere, so don't worry if you hands are a little dirty.
4th - Put the new o-ring into the plastic housing. I noticed that the replacement was a bigger diameter, it went together easy, so it will just seal better.
5th - Put the cover back on and tighten the screws.
6th - Go riding!!!

If you have had the light for a couple years, and/or do a lot of endurance racing you will definitely want to test your lights before the event. It should turn right on, if it gives you problems it is probably time to swap out the bulb. They are a little expensive, $110 retail, but it will look like a new system. Remember the first time you seen the bright blue light...aaaahhhhhh

If you have lost your manual, down load one for free! There is some good info and charging tips. Hope that helped someone, have a wonderful fall (I mean autumn season).

Cheers

No comments: