Monday, November 21, 2005

Wisconsin State Championship Cyclo Cross

This weekend I tried something new, cyclo cross. The bike turned out to be lighter than I was expecting, SWEET! I set it up with a 42 front chain ring, a 25-12 road cassette, and Chris King/Mavic 517 wheels. I practiced all weekend dismounting and remounting. After a couple miss-attempts I don't know if I will ever get a fathers day card - OUCH! Anyway I figured I would just do the race and see how it turns out.

Cathy is wearing way too many warm cloths to be at a bike race!



Our dog could be a model.



I had a good start and we were riding off the front for about 1.5 laps.



When I was watching the "C" race this barrier didn't look too big, I thought I should be able to bunny hop that...YEAH RIGHT! When I got up to it I could hardly jump over it!



I felt really good through the barriers, I thought there was going to be more than sections of running. Note to self, check speed before dismounting, I was trying to close a gap mid race and jumped off my bike at about 20 mph, I almost ate grass in a big way!



In all the race was a lot of fun. I got dropped by the lead group of 3 about 15 minutes into the race. Another group of two caught me but didn't want to work, they just sat on my wheel. I attacked hard to get them out of my draft and then rode in no-mans-land most the race. I figured if I was going to be pushing wind I might as well not do if for the group. I was running 4th pretty comfortable until the last two laps. I was corning hard in an off camber section and burped some air out of the tire. It started leaking pretty good after that, the 5th and 6th place guys caught me and were able to out corner me. When I finished I was almost on the rim. I was still happy to get 6th considering I was riding a MT.BIKE!

Cory also had a great race, he borrowed the 9.8 because it was about 25 lbs. lighter than his Gary Fisher. He was in the C race and was running 2nd the entire time. On the last lap a group of 3 were working hard and caught him. He was still able to hang on to 5th at the line.

No comments: