Monday, June 06, 2005

Jersey's...Chains...Excuses

Well this weekend didn't go as good as I was hoping for. I am not going to make any excuses, blame anyone or anything just tell you what happened. Due to a little misfortune at Alpine Valley a couple weeks ago I was elected to wear the Jersey-O-Shame. It is the traveling jersey on the team that if someone gets nominated to wear for doing something dumb.
The jersey is old, before the days of sweet wicking material, on top of that it was going to hit almost 90 degrees. I knew this was going to be a problem so I loaded up on water and enduralites. I got called up and lined up behind Brian Matter, knowing he would have a good start.

We took off and I got a good jump off the line. At the end of the lead out field I was sitting in the top 10.

We came to some fast double track through the woods and I moved to 8th. I was really pumped to be up with the leaders and although we were going fast but I wasn't riding harder than I wanted too. The course was probably 80% single track. I settled in place and kept up as we wove our way around the woods. We had a group of about 10 so on the fire roads we had a really good pace line going. I was still feeling good as we started the second set of single track. I knew this was going to be a long race but wanted to hang on as long as I could. All of the sudden I heard a *PING* and my pedals just spun, I knew what happened and the guy behind me confirmed it.."your chain broke pull over" I got out of his way so that he could stay with the pack. I ran back and grabbed my chain. It only took a minute or two to get it fixed but in the time about 35-40 people got around me. I took off again a little flustered but still focused. I got back into the grove and started to pick people off. I think this is were I began to run into problems. I was feeling good at the start and didn't feel like I was going overly fast, now I was playing catch up and was really pushing, and passing a lot of people. I tried to stay focused but I was starting to catch some fast guys and had to really push to get around them, do this a couple times and you loose focus. On my 3rd of 4 laps I was starting to hurt I was still passing people but could tell I was a little sloppy in the single track. I ran out of water half way through the lap, and took a hand up from a spectator. I was hoping this would get me back to the water station but it didn't. Things went from bad to worse VERY fast! I was getting really sloppy, dizzy, and couldn't slow my breathing. I ended up crashing and it took me a long time to get up. I knew at this point I couldn't do another lap and had to get back to the water station FAST or I was going to be in trouble. I took the last gel shot I had started walking/riding against traffic to get out of the woods. I made it out and got to Cathy, she had 3 bottles ready for me and I killed all of them. It took me some time to get relaxed again, we made it back to the car loaded up and took off.
In all I was disappointed I had to turn in a DNF but on the other hand I was glad that I am figuring out good warm up techniques for solid starts and hanging with the top 10. Everyone is going to have a problem here and there, it is how you react to it. I can't wait to get my Wipperman back and be able to run the next race with confidence.

No comments: