Monday, September 19, 2005

Chequamegon Re-cap

After having a bum season I have been focusing on this race hoping to pull something together. I took all last week easy making the legs happy and ready for 40 miles of hills and sand. We broke tradition and stayed with the team at one of their cabins. On Saturday morning went to get registered, I put Cathy's bike on the front line, knowing I didn't belong there but thought I could get some cool team exposure. I guess I lost track of time warming up and got to the start as they were saying all non-race bikes would be removed. As I was handing Cathy her bike over the fence everyone moved up to the start line. WHAT!?! Now my front row start was in the back, bummer! I thought no problem I can pick my way to the front on Main St. for some good pics. I was getting my mind focused when I looked down and realized that I forgot my timing chip! I only had 3.5 minutes to start time, I threw my bike over the fence and busted down the street to the car. I ripped open the bag and threw on the chip. I was sprinted back to the start line during the national anthem, threw my bike over the fence and just as I was jumping over, BOOM the cannon goes off! I quickly moved to the far left in the front.
I didn't want to have a million people around me as I was trying to get my mind back into the race. We made it out of town and that is when things got ugly. I have never seen as much tire rubbing as this weekend! I was off to the right side of the road on the white line. A rider came around me, almost on the gravel and when he tried to cut in hit a 'cross bike in front of me. Both of them got loose, the mt.bike held on to it but the 'cross bike slid and high-sided. I had nowhere to go, I could here tires already sliding so I knew slowing or swerving would take me out. I leaned back and just rode through it, I tagged the 'crosses rear wheel as he was spinning into the ditch. Ok, that is all before the race started!!
Once we hit Rosies field everyone attacked. I tried but just fell on my face, AGAIN. I was really mad that this happened every race. I tried to just keep things in check. I was bummed because we could see the lead pack only about 15 seconds up on us but nobody, included me could get up enough to bridge to them. I was doing everything I could to hang on up the "OO" after that there were two big climbs. When we got to the first one something inside told me to attack. I did and never saw the pack again. I sprinted up the hill like it was the finish. When I crested I hit a gavel road, got two new bottles of water and gatorade, then the race was on. After that I felt great, I was pushing the big ring like nothing. Finally I could actually race instead of just riding. When I crossed "OO" I heard I was in the mid 50's. I knew that a top 20 was out of the question but I had to make some ground just to get in next year. I was just flying on the roads, I would come up on groups that were working together, and just blow past them. The hills felt great, I have to thank Cory for the torturous seated climbs he made me do, they paid off and I found my self seated in the big ring.
With about 2 miles to go someone yelled I was in 30th place. I could see 29th in front of me but he had at least 100 yrds. I through in a last attach on the hill into the ski area, but couldn't close the gap enough.

This is the stats from the race. Not my best finish but it was my fastest time. Overall I was really happy just to feel good and be able to race again. Hopefully the legs will stick around for a couple more races this year.
Thanks to everyone for helping out. My MiMo's were again the perfect choice tire. They rolled fast and hooked up like crazy on the fast rocky/sandy downhill sections. I have been running my I-fly seat. I found that I can wear little to no padding in my shorts to get the best feel of the seat, without getting any soars! WOW!! Of course the White Lightning lube gave me perfect shifting though out the entire race.
Thanks again to everyone.

No comments: