Monday, September 12, 2005

Kewaunee Re-cap

I don't know what the deal is this year, know matter what I am doing I just can't put together a good race. I didn't want to get too crazy this weekend and over do it for Chequamegon next weekend. The race started with an uphill road lead out. I was running mid-pack and getting pulled along nicely. About 1/2 way up the hill the pack started to separate so I wanted to make a move into the lead group before the single track, I tried to up the pace and just fell flat on my face! I knew it was going to be a long race at this point. We made it through the 28 minute lead out and started the main course. I didn't really feel good at any point of this, but just kept a steady pace and tried to keep everything in check. When we came around for our first lap I could see a group in front but just thought it was a chase group, turns out they were the leaders, WHAT!?! I slipped a little on the pace for the second lap, not knowing that I was running in the top 10, as I was about to finish someone yelled, your easly in the top 20! I thought oh great now I have to push, again I tried to find something but it just wasn't there. I figured I had two choices, dig deap and burn all the resources I have ever put in my body, or soft pedal the final lap and let my body just tell me how hard to ride, I chose the latter. I finished the final lap, and stopped for a second where Cathy was handing off bottles, I shot down a full bottle of water and took a bottle of Gatorade for the 25 minute lead in to the finish.
I finally made it to the long down hill tucked in and had a 39 mph speed check at the radar. So I turned my lowest finish yet. I am hopping to get all these bad finishes out of my system and next year I can turn on the heat.
Speaking of putting on the pressure, Cathy had a GREAT race!! She took off and sat mid pack just as planned. About 1/2 way up a girl was going off the front Cathy made her move up to her wheel when she realized the girl wasn't going to challenge, Cathy moved around and soloed for a $20 top of the hill preem. When we seen her she only had a couple second lead over the rest of the field. I guess she traded some spots on the first lap. When she lapped through again she was only about 10 seconds up on the second place lady. On her final lap she was able to pick it up a little and gain some ground. She got on the road and headed home clocking 38 mph on the down hill and crossed the line 2 minutes ahead of the next challenger.

No comments: